Calvary University has been preparing teachers for private and international schools for over forty years. In 2010, the 教育 Department began offering Missouri State Certification, which has expanded its sphere of impact. Teachers prepared at Calvary serve as effective teachers in public, private, and international schools.
Calvary University educator preparation programs have been approved 通过 the Missouri State Board of 教育 in the following certification areas:
- Elementary (Grades 1-6)
- English Language Learner (K-12) (Add-On Certification)
- Middle School (Grades 5-9) – Language Arts
- Middle School (Grades 5-9) – Social Sciences
- Middle School (Grades 5-9) – Speech & Theatre
- Secondary (Grades 9-12) – English
- Secondary (Grades 9-12 – Social Sciences
- Secondary (Grades 9-12) – Speech & Theatre
- Music 教育: Vocal (Grades K-12) (see 音乐系 guidelines)
Successful completion of one of these Educator Preparation 程式 will position the student to be eligible to apply for Missouri State Teacher Certification and Association of ChriSTian Schools International (ACSI) certification.
The mission of the 教育 Department is to prepare highly effective teacher candidates who are capable of meeting the diverse learning needs of students in the 21ST century classroom.
Teacher 教育 Departmental Theme Statement
The Educator Preparation Program at Calvary promotes the development of teachers within a distinctly Christian environment grounded in a Biblical philosophy of education. The program emphasizes pedagogical skills, differentiated learning, diversity appreciation, instructional technology and a search for truth while setting STandards for professionalism and character for each teacher candidate. Students should graduate with a desire to be lifelong learners and servant leaders.
教育 Department Objectives
The Educator Preparation program will:
- Deliver instruction for teacher candidates to develop and refine a biblical philosophy of education formed through a foundational underSTanding of the Scripture.
- Provide teacher candidates with the content knowledge and pedagogical skills necessary to teach STudents in the 21ST
- Arrange multiple opportunities for teacher candidates to practice and develop their professional and pedagogical skills through practice teaching sessions in the university classroom, field experiences, and STudent teaching.
- Value human diversity and provide inSTructional opportunities to practice analyzing and evaluating different points of view while learning to relate to others in the places in which they live, work, and serve.
- Equip students to utilize formative and summative assessment strategies to evaluate academic progress and implement instructional technology STrategies to improve learning outcomes.
- Furnish teacher candidates with the information, resources and support necessary to achieve the Missouri state standards for teacher certification and complete required STeps and assessments throughout the program.
Guidelines for 教育 Majors
Completing a major in 教育 requires two sets of specifications: (1) completion of the degree, and (2) meeting Missouri certification requirements. A student can declare the major at any time, but in order to enroll in upper division education coursework, the student must first be admitted to the Educator Preparation Program. Declaration of a major DOES NOT conSTitute admission to the teacher education program.
Admission to the Educator Preparation Program:
- Application to an Educator Preparation Program (EPP) is a requirement of the State of Missouri. Education majors should apply during the first semeSTer of their sophomore year. Application forms for admission to the EPP may be obtained from the 教育 Department Chair or CANVAS.
- At the time of application the 教育 major must meet multiple standards for admission including grade point average requirements, Missouri STate examination requirements, and positive recommendations from faculty and field experiences. Further information on the application/admission process and specific requirements can be found in the EPP 学生手册.
- Students may not enroll in 300-level education coursework until they are admitted to the Educator Preparation Program. Students who fail to complete all requirements for certification within a seven-year period muST re-apply for admission under the policies and regulations that are in effect at the time of the new application.
Transfer Students / Change of Majors:
The Educator Preparation Program is a professional organization regulated 通过 the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) in addition to the policies of the Education Department and Calvary University. Historically, DESE has continually raised its academic standards and requirements for teacher certification. As a result, the program requirements are beyond what is expected of most college majors. 教育 majors muST work closely with their academic advisors and Calvary’s Certification Officer.
Students who transfer into or change their major to an Educator Preparation Program will often need one or more additional semesters beyond a traditional course of STudy to complete the program.
Coursework completed at other institutions will be considered on an individual basis. Decisions regarding transfer credit will be made based on alignment with the current standards of Calvary’s Educator Preparation Program. The majority of coursework for each program muST be completed at Calvary, especially in the areas of Field and Clinical Experiences.
General Requirements for Teacher Certification 程式
All education majors must meet the General Education and Bible 教育 requirements of Calvary University. In addition, the students muST meet the following certification requirements:
- Elementary 教育 (Grades 1-6) students must satisfactorily complete content courses related to the elementary curriculum consiSTent with Missouri certification requirements. Additional information on current requirements can be found in the EPP 学生手册.
- All education majors must demonstrate competence in English composition and research. They are required to satisfactorily complete EN112 College Composition I, EN113 College Composition II, and COM110 Written Research Practicum or the equivalent. If the student does not demonstrate writing competence, the department will require the student to seek assiSTance from The Clark Academic Center and file a Tutorial Form (see Handbook) to receive tutoring/advising.
- All education majors must demonstrate competence in oral communication. This requirement is met 通过 completing COM220 Oral Communications or the equivalent. The student must continue to show strong oral presentation skills in education course work. If the student does not display these skills, the department will complete a Tutorial Form and the STudent will receive tutoring/advising.
- All education majors must demonstrate competence in basic mathematical operations. In addition to completing the General 教育 requirements for mathematics, the student must exhibit continued mathematical skills in education coursework. If a student does not show these competencies, the department will complete a Tutorial Form and the STudent will receive tutoring/advising.
- State monitoring of the Teacher Education Program requires that all Teacher 教育 majors must develop and meet rigid qualifications and maintain the highest academic and professional STandards at all times.
Continuation in the Educator Preparation Program:
Students are required to apply for admission to the Educator Preparation Program, and application is followed by a personal interview by the Teacher Education Committee. The student is responsible for monitoring his/her own progress toward completion of the Educator Preparation Program at Calvary University. The 教育 Department faculty will assist the student 通过 providing advising, notices of deadlines, testing requirements, etc. However, the student muST monitor and meet the requirements.
Admission to, or completion of the Educator Preparation Program does not guarantee retention in the program and/or eventual Missouri certification. The same criteria considered for admission are monitored each semester. To be retained in the Educator Preparation Program, students must maintain appropriate grade point averages (see Handbook). Notification of education STudents whose grade point averages have fallen below the required level will be given to the program advisor.
- If the student’s GPA falls below the required level, but not lower than 2.0, he/she will be notified that he/she has one semester to regain good standing in the Educator Preparation Program. If not, the STudent will be excluded from the Program.
- If the STudent’s GPA falls below the required level and/or is placed on academic probation, he/she will automatically be excluded from the Educator Preparation Program and will be so informed 通过 the 教育 Department Chair.
- If the STudent has been excluded from the Educator Preparation Program because of a low overall GPA, reapplication for admission to the program may occur when the required GPA has been retained at Calvary.
- If the student has not demonstrated professional dispositions for teaching as recommended by Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary 教育 and as measured by the Professional Disposition form (see Handbook) and as evidenced 通过 lack of progress, the STudent may be dismissed from the program.
- A student may appeal his/her exclusion or dismissal from an Educator Preparation Program. The appeal must be dated, typed, and provide a clear explanation for the reason(s) for the appeal. Appeals are to be submitted to the Chief Academic Officer (CAO) for review, who will then present it to the Accreditation and Curriculum Committee (ACC). The CAO will notify the STudent and the 教育 Department Chair of the ACC’s decision in writing.
教育 Department 学院
Mrs. Susanne Garlett
“I’ve learned that education is, at its core, the same everywhere, especially for ChriSTian education." Elizabeth Viens graduated this spring with her bachelor’s degree in Elementary 教育. In the fall, she’ll be teaching 3rd grade at an international school in...
Are you or someone you know considering graduate school? At Calvary University, we’re committed to helping our students succeed in the transition to graduate STudies. Consequently, we are now offering a new graduate course. ED610 Introduction to Graduate Studies is...
By Dedra Pease Here we are at the end of another school year. This year has ended differently than anyone of us could have possibly imagined. Some are breathing sighs of relief that the days of distance learning at this time are done. Some are in a confused STate...